www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts AIR News Summary. It covers all important news for the whole day.This info is also covered as Daily current affairs.
AIR SUMMARY-13th March 2018
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches Tuberculosis Free India Campaign; Sets the 2025 deadline to eliminate tuberculosis.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched a campaign to eradicate Tuberculosis (TB) from India by 2025, five years ahead of a globally-set deadline. After inaugurating the Delhi End-TB Summit in New Delhi, the Prime Minister launched the TB-free India Campaign to take the activities under the National Strategic Plan for TB Elimination forward in a mission mode
- TB was declared as an emergency by WHO 25 years ago and India has come a long way in the fight against Tuberculosis.
- It is important to get rid of Tuberculosis within the stipulated time period
- Efforts to curb tuberculosis has not yielded successful results yet and said State Governments have a major role to play in elimination of TB from the country.
- Leaders from across the globe have converged in New Delhi for the summit, hosted by the Union Ministry of Health along with the WHO and the Stop TB Partnership. TB is responsible for 1.7 million deaths in 2016, despite most cases being curable while over 10 million people contract TB every year.
Telangana legislative assembly expels two Congress legislators and suspends 11 party MLAs for unruly behavior; Six Congress MLCs also suspended.
- Telangana Assembly speaker Madhusudhana Chary today expelled two Congress legislators from the House and suspended 11 other Congress members for the rest of the Budget session.
- The action was taken following their alleged unruly behavior during Governor’s speech yesterday.
- Six Congress members have also been suspended from the Legislative Council for the rest of the budget session.
- Those suspended from the legislative assembly include Leader of Opposition K. Jana Reddy.
- The Congress members allegedly injured Legislative Council Chairman Swamy Gowd by hurling a headphone during the Governor ESL Narasimhan’s joint address to the State Legislature on the first day of Budget Session.
- Soon after the house met for the day this morning, Legislative Affairs Minister Harish Rao moved two separate resolutions seeking the suspension and expulsion of the Congress members which were passed by the House.
Supreme Court extends March 31 deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar for availing various schemes and services.
- The Supreme Court today extended the March 31 deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to avail various services and welfare schemes run by the government.
- This relaxation will be effective till the constitution bench delivers a final verdict on the validity of Aadhaar number and its enabling law.
- The extension of deadline will also apply on the mandatory linking with the bank accounts and mobile phone numbers.
- On December 15 last year, the apex court had extended till March 31 the deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various services and welfare schemes.
- Earlier, the top court had observed that the alleged defect of citizens’ biometric details under the Aadhaar scheme being collected without any law could be cured by subsequently bringing in a statute.
RBI discontinues Letters of Undertaking and Letters of Comfort for Trade Credits with immediate effect in the wake of alleged PNB fraud case.
- The Reserve Bank of India today discontinued Letters of Undertaking (LoUs) and Letters of Comfort (LoCs) for Trade Credits.
- It has been decided to discontinue the practice of issuance of LoUs/ LoCs for Trade Credits for imports into India by AD Category -I banks with immediate effect.
- Recently, Punjab National Bank reported fraudulent issuance of LoUs/ Foreign Letters of Credit for payment of import bills and fraudulent transactions in accounts, amounting to 12,967.86 crore rupees, to the RBI through its fraud monitoring reporting system.
- A multi-agency probe, including by CBI and ED has been launched into the PNB fraud.