www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Current Affairs on What is Jerusalem Declaration?
- United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel; announces plans to relocate its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is called Jerusalem declaration.
- US President Donald Trump has recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and announced plans to relocate the US embassy, currently based in Tel Aviv, to the city. In his live televised address from the White House last night, Mr Trump said, it was a long overdue step. He also directed the State Department to immediately begin the process of construction of the US embassy in Jerusalem.
- The move reversed decades of US and international policy on the holy city, which many Arab leaders warned could trigger an upheaval in the already volatile West Asia region.
Reaction from various countries:
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has hailed the US decision. He termed it as historic and a courageous and just decision. Leading the global voice of dissent against the US President’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said the holy city is the final-status issue that must be resolved through direct negotiations.
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said, the decision tantamount to the United States abdicating its role as a peace mediator after a decade of sponsoring the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Iran and Qatar have also denounced the US move. Pope Francis expressed deep concern and appealed for all to respect the city’s status quo, in accordance with the relevant UN resolutions.
- The European Union called for the resumption of a meaningful peace process while both China and Russia have also expressed their concern and said the move could lead to an escalation of tensions in the region.
- British Prime Minister Theresa May said, the UK government disagree with the US decision and said there is no plan to move its embassy from Tel Aviv.