www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts RS TV summary about USA announcing launch of Space Force
Security Scan – The Space Force
- Trump announces setting up of space force
Significance of space:
- Space is too critical for the nation’s defense not to have an organization that speaks for its importance, defends it against all comers, and jealously advocates for new missions and new responsibilities.
- Space is too crucial to national security to be stalled by a lack of focus and an unwillingness to respond until pushed.
- In the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958, President Eisenhower and the Congress created NASA to control all U.S. space activities except those “peculiar to or primarily associated with the development of weapons, military space operations, or the defense of the United States.”
- The military job was handed to the Department of Defense.
- That same year, DoD created the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA then, Defense ARPA or DARPA now) specifically to prevent the kind of technological surprise that Sputnik represented.
- ARPA quickly became the lead for all military space activities. While work actually took place in the Army, Navy, and Air Force, ARPA guided it; and over the next decade, just about every military mission we do today in space was birthed and tested.
- The United States Space Force (USSF) is a proposed sixth branch of the United States Armed Forces intended to have control over military operations in outer space. It would absorb the operations and duties of the Air Force Space Command, a unit inside the United States Air Force that currently handles and supports most of the country’s military operations in space.
- In 2000, Donald Rumsfeld led a military reform commission that examined the role of the United States military in space, recommending a substantial consolidation of space-related activities under a single military command structure. This concept was not pursued due to the advent of the war with Iraq.
- In 2017, a “United States Space Corps” was proposed as a sixth branch of the United States Armed Forces that would have absorbed the United States Air Force’s space warfare mission, which is currently conducted by Air Force Space Command.
- President Donald Trump first floated the idea of creating a Space Force in a speech in March 2018, noting that “we’re doing a tremendous amount of work in space—I said, maybe we need a new force. We’ll call it the space force”.
- On June 18, 2018, Trump announced, in an address to the newly reformed National Space Council, a directive to create a sixth branch of the United States Armed Forces.
- The president announced the Pentagon will prepare to create the “Space Force” as an independent service branch, separate from the United States Air Force.
- In his statement, Trump said that “we are going to have the Air Force, and we are going to have the Space Force” which he described as two “separate but equal” branches of the United States Armed Forces.
- They can controll the adverse in space but it will be a bigger threat
- Having separate Force for space will have consequence and complexity
- International Law restrict use of Weapon in outer space
- USA consider spaces as one of the strategic force
- It wants some technology to keep to them self and they also talk about traffic management in space
- Space is there strategic asset and it should be protected
- Civilian use and military use are interrelated
- Protection of asset is necessary for the development
- Large amount of money is pumped into the space
Militarization is progressing but weaponization is a matter of concern
What can be done?
- Competition and cooperation is needed between big Powers in space
- Integration of Civil and military use of India to be a matter of concern