www.iasinsights.com ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Daily Current Affairs from various news papers across and PIB.
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu moots national suicide prevention strategy
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu has mooted a national suicide prevention strategy to curb the tendency among youngsters and others to end their lives due to depression and frustration.
- He said Yoga, meditation and spiritualism will provide mental equilibrium and solace at times of depression.
World AIDS Day observed on 1st Dec
- The day provides an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against HIV, to show support for people living with HIV and to commemorate those who have died from an AIDS-related illness.
- More than 35 million people have died of HIV or AIDS, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history.
UIDAI asks banks not to discontinue Aadhaar Enabled Payment System as it may obstruct delivery of welfare benefits
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has asked banks not to discontinue the Aadhaar Enabled Payment System as it may obstruct delivery of welfare benefits.
- SBI had informed NPCI of its intention to discontinue Aadhaar enabled payment system purportedly based on the understanding that it may be in violation of the recent Supreme Court judgement.
GS-II (International News)
BRICS nations call for a comprehensive approach to combat terrorism
- The BRICS countries reiterated their commitment to working together to strengthen multilateralism and promote a fair, just, equitable, democratic and representative international order.
- The BRICS leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi met at an informal meeting on the sidelines of the G 20 summit last night.
- In a joint statement, the BRICS nations deplored continued terrorist attacks, including against some BRICS countries. It condemned terrorism in all forms and manifestations, wherever and by whom soever committed.
- They called upon all countries to reach a balanced outcome under the Paris Agreement Work Programme during COP-24 that enables operationalization and implementation of the Paris Agreement.
PM Modi asks G-20 countries to formulate a common platform for extraditing fugitive economic offenders
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called upon G-20 countries to make a common platform for identifying and extraditing fugitive economic offenders and denying entry and safe havens to them.
- Presenting a nine-point agenda at the first session of the summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina last night, Mr Modi said, a strong and active co-operation was needed to deal comprehensively and efficiently with the menace of fugitive economic offenders.
Australia Become 1st Country to Recognize ‘Orphanage Trafficking’ As Slavery
- Australia has become the first country in the world to recognize ‘orphanage trafficking’ as a form of modern slavery. Children from smaller countries are recruited in orphanages in the West for the purpose of profit through foreign aid.
- According to the US State Department, “many orphanages use the children to raise funds by forcing them to perform shows for or interact and play with potential donors to encourage more donations”. As per estimates, 80% of children living in the world’s orphanages have at least one living parent.
US, UK reach post-Brexit aviation agreement
- The United States and the United Kingdom’s delegations have wrapped up discussions on a bilateral aviation agreement that would take effect after Brexit, when the existing US- EU agreement no longer applies to the United Kingdom, UK.
- The bilateral air transport agreement between the two nations will allow the US aviation industry to provide air services without interruption to the UK.
- The agreement also opens all-cargo service opportunities and covers the British overseas territories and crown dependencies.
India’s economy grows at 7.1 per cent for 2nd part of 2018-19
- India’s economy grew at 7.1 per cent for the second quarter of 2018-19 according to data released by Central Statistics Office today.
- The CSO estimates state that GDP at constant prices was 33.98 lakh crore rupees for second quarter this fiscal, which is a marked increase from 31.72 lakh crore rupees for the same period in 2017-18.
NITI Aayog organizes Development Dialogue on Health System
- NITI Aayog vice chairman Rajiv Kumar has said development dialogue organised by NITI is a sign that health is at the center of the policy narrative.
- POSHAN Abhiyan and Ayushman Bharat can be viewed as innovative models for efficiently integrated health systems.
- During the dialogue the roll-out of the ambitious Ayushman Bharat was also hailed as a good opportunity to bring in systems thinking and de-fragmenting the various building blocks of healthcare systematically over time.
- The dialogue was the first in the series of NITI Aayog’s “Development Dialogues” that aims to facilitate multi-sectoral conversations on India’s developmental issues, which constitute a part of the country’s 15 Year Vision document.
GS-III(Science & Technology)
NASA’s InSight spacecraft lands on red planet after six-month journey
- A NASA spacecraft designed to burrow beneath the surface of Mars landed on the red planet Monday after a six-month, 300 million-mile (482 million-kilometre) journey and a perilous, six-minute descent through the rose-hued atmosphere
- It was NASA’s ninth attempt to land at Mars since the 1976 Viking probes. All but one of the previous U.S. touchdowns were successful
- Mars has been the graveyard for a multitude of space missions. Up to now, the success rate at the red planet has been only 40 percent, counting every attempted flyby, orbital flight and landing by the U.S., Russia and other countries since 1960.
HM Rajnath Singh to inaugurate 19th Hornbill Festival in Nagaland
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will inaugurate the 19th Hornbill Festival at Kisama village near state capital Kohima in Nagaland.
- The Nagaland government has earmarked 5 crore rupees for the festival, which will culminate on December 10.
- The celebrations and programmes have been scheduled in five districts of the state, Kohima, Dimapur, Mokokchung, Phek and Wokha.
- The fest aims to display the rich traditions and the vibrant culture of Nagaland through colourful performances, crafts, sports, food fairs, games and ceremonies.